The Cap Lardier is the eastern point of the Cavalaire bay. This headland is one of the most southern points of the Saint Tropez peninsula, as it is situated on the same latitude as the Corsican Cap.
Its coastline, granitic in the north, with more foliaceous rocks in the south, is of a rather smooth aspect. Only towards the Andati headland the coastline seems rough, with cliffs falling straight into the ocean, making access impossible, just like the dense brushwood which covers it, treating you with its diverse Mediterranean colours and scents. Here you can look at an amazing parasol pine tree, in the Brouis valley, a tree which delights everyone by its sparkling, shimmering shades of green. Several protected beaches along this coastline are peaceful havens for every visitor.
The first signs of man in the area of the Saint Tropez peninsula go back to the Neolithic period. After the obscurantism of the middle age, it is only in 1807 one could find the next series of man-traces at the Cap Lardier and thanks to the Napoléonien land register. From the register we learn that most of the area had been cultivated for the production of wheat, which became very important since the English blockade.
Since the end of the 18th century, the battery of Cap Lardier has been equipped with canons, in order to complement the ones at Cap Taillat.
Until 1914 some of the plots had cultivation of cereals and olive trees, cultivation, of which you can still find some traces today. The scrub would then be burned down and one would cultivate cereals alternating with a fallow every three to four years. Then the farming ended.
At the beginning of the century the state sells the domain to a private individual who starts to grow wine on it. Then, in 1949, the domain became a campsite.
We believe that the "Maison de Gigaro" was being built during that time.
During that period the property is covered with maritime pines until the big freeze in 1956, when Eucalyptus trees were planted in replacement.
Some years later the "Banque Occidentale" buys the land all the way up to the Brouis bay and considers building a housing development and a tourism port at Jovat.
In 1976, a protest movement leads up to the acquisition of the land by the Conservatoire du littoral.
Since then the management of the site is entrusted jointly to the town of La Croix Valmer and the national Park of Port-Cros.
The Conservatoire du Littoral owns approximately 325 Ha (1 hectare = 10.000 m²)
The purchase of the Cap Lardier site offered protection against urbanism and helped to preserve the landscape with its flore and wildlife, of which we all know how exceptional and fragile they are.
2016 is a landmark : La Croix Valmer has officially signed the NPPC’s charter, meaning the entrance of the communal territory into the peripheral area of the Park. Obviously, tourism is one of the focuses which will be developed in compliance with the ambition 3.2 that is to say “create, promote and highlight the destination “National Park” according to the moral values of sustainable tourism and eco-friendly leisures” :
raise awareness of sustainable tourism among the professionals of the territory
qualify the local touristic services around Park values
promote eco-responsible products and activities
3.2.2 Diversify touristic economy by developing a complimentary services to the traditional seaside tourism :
develop and promote itineraries to discover sites and enhance the patrimony
develop a territorial strategy to offer services all year round
3.2.3 Promote the belonging to the national Park by working with tourist offices and structure the network with signage and Park Houses :
affix the regulatory signage and value the membership to the Park
In partnership with the NPPC, the Tourist Office is going to work on the qualification of touristic services as well as develop eco-friendly activities and values on the territory. For more information, click here